December’s ePortfolio of the Month

We’re starting a new segment here on the ePortfolio blog, and also on the Academic Technology Twitter, where we highlight an extraordinary student ePortfolio each month. Our first honoree kicked us off to a great start!

Meet Briana Finelli.  She is a talented sophomore majoring in personality and social psychology on the Pleasantville campus.  She is extremely involved in school and the community; you can tell by clicking through her ePortfolio page!  Our December ePortfolio loves having the ability to represent herself “academically in a way that’s simple, fun, and completely customizable.”  She writes about events attended, experiences, and positions using the journal feature, as a way to keep a digital record of her accomplishments.

Briana  says she has “always been very interested in web design, and the opportunity to track [her] progress as a student and display it for the entire University just seemed incredible.”  In her Learning Community—INT 197X with Dr. Susan Maxam and Professor Angelo Spillo—she was asked to upload her paper to ePortfolio.  As soon as Briana took this first step, she “felt the need to customize the entire thing.”  The challenge of creating an ePortfolio intrigued her and soon, she became a professional!

Read more about Briana’s experience below:

“My ePortfolio began as a compilation of papers. I collected them on my Academic Materials page, but it just looked empty.  I wrote a description of Writing Enhanced courses, and included the course I was taking there.  I organized the page with an image of stacked books below my course listing, and added descriptions of my research papers with my received grade to the page so employers and other students could better navigate the documents.  After that, I was determined to work on the rest of it.

My Introduction came first, and I wrote a brief description about myself, included my long and short-term goals, and visually represented my proficiency and experience with computer software by displaying the various logos.  I even included a place for my “Interests”, which are mostly organizations that I’ve done volunteer work for or have a special interest in.  My Extracurricular Activities page was the most difficult, but it’s my favorite by far.  I was able to format the page in a way that listed all of my accomplishments and organizations that I am a part of with visual representation and descriptions of these accomplishments and organizations.  Every other page came together from all my experience working on those.”

Briana speaks about how she enjoys receiving feedback from others about her ePortfolio.  She says “your ePortfolio is a representation of yourself to others, so their feedback is just as important as the way you think it looks.”  As we always say, appearance IS important.  If you’d like to build an ePortfolio, you will have a chance to win $200, and potentially be featured as an ePortfolio of the Month, contact us at eportfolio@pace.edu or create a Help Desk ticket at help.pace.edu.  Briana recommends that everyone at least tries to use ePortfolio at least once in his or her college career. Who knows? You may love it!